Monday, March 30, 2009

The chosen one....

This weekend I went into Great Clips for a haircut. There I was greeted by a young lady and told to have a seat at a specified chair. What occurred then was .... interesting....

I was surprised to see another young woman that worked there approach my chair and sit nearby. As I quickly realized, my stylist was a trainee and the other one was there to correct and observe. Neither one of them mentioned this to me and continued as if I was merely a mannequin. The trainee asked questions (only a few to be fair) and the trainer responded, sometimes taking scissors and checking her work and fixing a few things. As this was happening I was filled with 2 prevailing thoughts. There was a part of me that was very concerned about this extremely unprofessional behavior, them not having decency to ask for my permission, feeling used, etc. The other took a more spiritual perspective which kept me sane and smiling. The voice inside suggested that I was chosen for this role in order to help the young woman who was obviously nervous get some experience and learn her lessons. And I was chosen because I was strong enough to handle it. And as it turned out she did a good job. I thanked them both and walked out amused and pleased for being able to serve in this odd capacity.

No comments: