Monday, May 4, 2009

...After all I've tried for 3 years...seems like 30

Last Saturday my wife and I went to see Jesus Christ Superstar with Ted Neely as Jesus. I loved the movie where he played the main role and really wanted to see the live show. One of the primary draws for me was Ted. I knew nothing of his career but thought it would be interesting to see what he looks and sounds like now many years later. My friend had gotten us great seats and I was able to see it all up close (row D). The production was good, I liked some things and didn't appreciate the others but I am still thinking of Ted. Today I did some research and found out that he is 65. He is likely best known for playing the role of Jesus even though he has done much in the music and theatre business. He probably played this role more then 2000 times since 1973 when the movie came out. I just began to wonder what an interesting life experience he must have had. And when he was singing the words..."After all I've tried for 3 years...seems like 30...seems like 30..." I couldn't help but think how life imitates art...Ted Neely has been playing Jesus for more then 30 years on stage, more then half his life. What a life he has chosen...

No comments: