Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's not what you say.....

In celebration of March 8th - International Women's Day I would like to share a revelation.  This Friday during a pre-March 8th celebration dinner at my mother-in-law's home I raised a number of toasts to women.  There toasts were heartfelt and one spoke of the changing times and how difficult it is to be a woman today.  A woman no longer is just the home keeper but is also one that works full time, has to endure labor, satisfy her partner, take care of children and put up with her man needing a break now and then to play poker.  Another touched upon a simple truth that every woman seeks to be loved.  I meant every word and every word was warmly received by the women around the dinner table.  Their eyes filled with tears, they told their husbands that they wished they had the same understanding of women as I did....it was very very touching.  And then...I was told to do the dishes....

Standing there scrubbing I had a revelation - it is not what you say that counts, but rather what you do!  It may be true that women love with their ears but their eyes see all and if no help is given - sweet nothings will accomplish just that.  Men of all ages, let us salute the women in our lives and aspire to become that which they see in us.  Happy March 8th our women, we love you!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allen, very touching and inspirational. You're a good man. And, you are correct, they juggle many demanding/stressful things... I often forget/overlook. I'll try to implement your insightful suggestion (even if just for the day). Which means I'll be doing the dishes tonight too. ;-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Gary! Good luck with the dishes :)