Monday, October 13, 2008

Taking things personal...

Dear Circle,

During a meditation class today our instructor mentioned in passing people taking things personally and a flashbulb went on for me.  The reason we take things personally is because we have a very low understanding of who we are.  If we understood who we truly are we wouldn't take things others say to be true.  For instance, if someone calls you an "Idiot"....if you know yourself well (and hopefully don't think of yourself as an idiot) you wouldn't pay attention to that because it doesn't matter what others say, you know the truth.  If you don't know yourself you will get offended because you will think ...well He thinks I am an Idiot I need to prove I am not or worst of all you will think that perhaps he knows you better then you do and maybe you are an Idiot so you take it personally.  I realize this is simplistic but it leads to the same point - get to know yourself and you won't take things so personal!

2 comments:

Mariya Gerstein said...

I think it's our pride that makes us upset when somebody makes a comment about us. We may feel "how dare they! I'll show them!" Those who do not have any pride will probably not fight. Although not fighting may be for a reason that the person accepts the insult as having truth behind it. Which it actually might in some cases. I think it's not healthy to fight or completely brush all comments off. If somebody calls me carzy, I will feel that they are wrong. I don't think I am crazy. yet I would want to understand why they felt this way. This way I may discover somethign about myself I may want to adjust. I do agree that getting worked up is not worth it. It simply is not beneficial to either sides and doesn't produce any helpful result.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, do not agree with Mariya's idea that "Those who do not have any pride will probably not fight."

Pride has nothing to do with who you are nor what you stand for. Responding to an insult shows a lack of self esteem because you are now 'justifying' your emotional feelings about being insulted. It's hurt ego, not pride.

Knowing who you are underneath all the 'stuff' makes you strong enough to ignore the ignorant (notice the similarities?)